HPC Systems for Supercomputing
- US is world leader in terms of being a producer and user of HPC systems.
- HPC systems account for more than a third of the installed supercomputers
- Most new supercomputers are HPC systems.
- HPC systems will dominate the world of supercomputing all major vendors
now have HPC (parallel) systems on offer.
Using HPC Systems for Supercomputing
- Development software less mature.
- Applications software more complicated - order of magnitude longer to
- No automatic parallelisation of codes.
- Problems with "dusty deck" codes - need to re-write!
- Longer term research needed into efficient parallel algorithms.
- Parallel Computing is becoming established, is maturing, but is by no
- HPC is the way of the future.
- HPC is strategically very important if we want to compete in a worldwide
High Performance Computing.
Concurrency in problem being solved.
Act of parallelising a problem.
Act of generating an independent process.
A spawned program undertaking a task.
A set of workstations on the same network.
Computer program generated by a user.
Massively Parallel Processing.
The most powerful computers at that time!
Codes written and evolved over a considerable time.
Submitted by Mark Johnston
Last updated 6 April 1995